Will I be able to earn my course credits for the spring semester?

Yes. Our goal is for all students to earn spring semester credits via distance education. For seniors, we will make a special effort to see that courses are completed by the end of the semester. Some courses may be given “Incomplete” and/or continued in the summer, if necessary.

What if I have limited or no access to the internet?

Please make your professor aware of your situation prior to the remote learning period so you can work something out. Several companies are offering free WiFi access during this time.

How will courses be graded?

The College has approved a temporary change to its pass/fail grading policy for the spring semester. Students can choose a pass/fail grade later in the term than usual, and for a wider range of courses. Read the policy in full.

What about course selection for the fall 2020 semester?

The fall course schedule will be available in late March on the Office of the Registrar website and on the Banner Self Service course search tool. Students will receive an email with details,  including mid-April registration dates. Students can engage in conversations with their advisers via phone or video calls to review their academic plan, course selection, and to receive registration PINs.

What do I do if I have an academic accommodation or need an accommodation in the present circumstances?

Any existing accommodation should remain in force. If new measures or adjustments are needed, contact The Office of Accessibility Services. A COVID-19 webpage is being created by the Office of Advising and Co-Curricular Activities that will address a number of issues related to support provided by the Hub, class deans, and other functions in Scott Hall. Class deans and other advising staff members will continue to be available for appointments (video or phone). Use contact information on their staff page if you would like to set up a meeting.

When will classes begin?

Please contact the relevant head or chair for the department or program in which that particular course is being offered. You can find the appropriate head or chair by going to the department or program’s webpage. There is also a list of heads and chairs that can be found toward the bottom of the Information, Forms, and Lists page off of the Provost’s main page. If you sent an email to a department head or chair and have waited more than 24 hours without a response, please contact Markus Dubischar, associate dean of the curriculum.

What technology resources are available to me during this time?

There are several technology and resource guides available for students, including:

My coursework includes lab, artistic, performance, or presentation requirements. How will I fulfill those?

Our faculty are innovative. We already have heard of a number of creative alternatives being developed, and so we are confident they will work with you to find a suitable arrangement.

Arts classes are finding ways to stay involved and connected. For example, some music ensembles are experimenting with layered sounds and group creation projects, and some courses are emphasizing process over product. There are many ways a class can get creative and provide an outlet for self-expression and connection during this time of isolation.

I’m a senior. Am I going to graduate on time?

While the ceremony has been rescheduled to August 1, we anticipate your degree will be awarded and reflected on your transcript following our usual graduation processing in the May timeframe.

My professor posts class session recordings and course materials on our Moodle course site. Are there limits on what I can do with these materials?

The creation of a dynamic and rigorous class requires a high level of trust between students and between the class and the instructor. Class session recordings and other course materials are proprietary and to be used for class purposes only. They are not to be shared or distributed outside those parameters. You must request permission from your professor prior to creating any recordings. Also, no recordings should be shared or posted online even when the instructor grants permission to record.

How will I take exams?

Faculty have a variety of options available for testing and assessment, including through Moodle. Please talk with your professor.

How do I resolve course-related concerns (e.g., scheduling conflicts, communication difficulties with a professor) in this period of remote teaching?

If contacting your professor does not resolve the issue, reach out to the department head or program chair. A list of heads and chairs can be found toward the bottom of the Information, Forms, and Lists webpage. If you have emailed the head or chair and have waited more than 24 hours without a response, contact Markus Dubischar, associate dean of the curriculum.

Are tutors still available through the Academic Resource Hub?

Yes. Support programs have transitioned from in-person to remote sessions. Visit the Academic Resource Hub website for more information on specific course support. Please use the StudyTree app to book appointments or join the Supplemental Instruction or Mentored Study Group Sessions.

How will I register for fall 2020 courses, and how do I meet with my academic adviser?

The registrar’s office will provide registration dates and instructions. As in any other semester, your academic adviser will have your registration PIN, and you can reach out to your adviser via email to set up any pre-registration conversations via phone or video.

Will Commencement still take place?

Yes. Commencement has been rescheduled for Aug. 1, and plans are being made to hold some campus activities for seniors in advance of commencement.

Can current EXCEL Scholars continue to be paid for the remainder of the spring semester?

If current EXCEL Scholars can continue their work remotely, they can continue to be paid.



How can I select the pass/fail grade option?

The online form can be used through the May 1 deadline. If no action is taken to request that a course be considered pass/fail, normal letter grading will remain in effect.

Will I be able to take a class counting towards my major or minor pass/fail?

Yes, for spring 2020 semester only, a P can be counted in the major.

Will I be able to take a class counting towards the Common Course of Study requirements pass/fail?

Yes, for spring 2020 semester only, a P can count for a Common Course of Study requirement.

What is considered a passing grade/failing grade?

Any non-failing grade will be recorded as a P; a failing grade will be recorded as an F.

How will an F factor into my GPA?

An F will be calculated into the term and cumulative GPA calculations, as outlined in the catalog.

How will having one or two classes pass/fail factor into consideration for the Dean's List this semester?

Dean’s List for spring 2020 will be determined based on a minimum of three graded courses and term GPA of 3.6 or higher.

Will I still be eligible for Latin honors at graduation if I choose pass/fail classes?

Graduation Latin honors are determined based on the cumulative GPA.  Those who graduate with high cumulative averages based upon four years’ work are awarded their degrees summa cum laude (a cumulative average of 3.85 or higher), magna cum laude (3.75), or cum laude (3.65). Taking a class pass/fail will not affect your GPA unless the grade is recorded as an F.

Will faculty know that I chose pass/fail grading for their course?

Prior to submitting grades for their course a faculty member would not know who in their course has elected the pass/fail grade option. Faculty become aware of the pass/fail grade request at the time they have access to final grade entry in Banner.

I am completing an honors thesis. Can I select the pass/fail grade option?

Not for the thesis course. In order to be awarded departmental honors for completion of a thesis, a grade of A is required in the Thesis course. You can still elect other courses to be pass/fail.

If I have already requested that a class be pass/fail with a minimum grade, will I still be able to retain the minimum grade option?

No. The modification of the policy for the spring semester does not allow for a letter grade to be specified in lieu of the P. All courses retain normal letter grading unless and until a request for pass/fail is submitted. If you would like to retain the letter grade option, no action is necessary. If you prefer to have the class be evaluated pass/fail, you must submit that request.

Can I still withdraw from a course?

Yes. The withdrawal deadline has been extended to May 1, the same date by which pass/fail grading has to be elected. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their adviser(s) before deciding to opt for a pass/fail grade or withdrawing from a course so that they can make a well-informed decision.

If I select pass/fail for a course, will I be able to change back to letter grading later?

No. Once a student has opted for a P/F grade, this decision is final. Therefore, students should take their time and make a well-informed decision in consultation with their adviser.

Can students request to change from letter grades to pass/fail after the May 1 deadline?

No. May 1 at noon is a firm deadline.

Will courses taken on a pass/fail basis this semester be included in the policy that limits students to taking a maximum of four courses pass/fail during their academic career?

No. Courses taken pass/fail this semester are not included in the overall count. 

Can I request pass/fail for an LVAIC cross-registered course?

Many LAVIC schools are offering a pass/pail (or similar) option. Check with the host school about its policy and process.

I am studying abroad this semester. Can I request pass/fail grading?

If your host institution is offering a pass/fail option, you should follow its guidance for selecting that alternate grade scale. If it is not, then you may make that request to Lafayette. You will receive communication from the Office of International and Off-Campus Education with details. 



What if I do not have access to healthcare providers at home?

SHIP provides coverage for hospitalizations, specialty care, mental health, and prescription medications throughout the U.S. and abroad. For more information on benefits and coverage, visit the University Health Plans website. Students who waived SHIP should check with their private insurance for questions about their provider network, coverage rules, and potential out-of-pocket costs.

What if I am experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in impacted areas or COVID-19 on campus?

Students who are experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in impacted areas may call a counselor. To make an appointment for counseling, please call 610-330-5005.



*State restrictions announced March 19 requiring aggressive social distancing prevent the College from coordinating a move-out process, so Move Out is on hold. Related information below is provided for when Move Out can proceed and an email communication will be sent.

If I left something critical in my room, can I retrieve it?*

Students should not return to campus to retrieve items. If you have a critical need for an item from your room such as medication, passport or a textbook that you do not have online access to, please complete this form and we will do all we can to assist. 

How can I return to campus to retrieve my belongings?*

Plans for Move Out are on hold due to a statewide order issued March 19 requiring aggressive social distancing. When we are able to do so, we will create a Move Out time window and ask students to respond to an updated Spring 2020 Housing Move Out form. Students will be required to sign up for a specific Move Out date and time through MyHousing.

  1. South College Drive Check Out (Keefe, Marquis, Ruef, and South)
  2. All other on-campus residence halls Check Out
  3. Off-campus houses and apartments Check Out

This move-out process will help minimize the spread of the coronavirus by limiting the number of members of our community on campus at any one time and reducing the size of public gatherings, while providing students and their families flexibility in making the necessary arrangements. 

To further mitigate concerns about groups and the number of individuals on campus, please severely limit the number of people who come to campus to assist with move-out efforts. Do not allow any family members who have been at higher risk for exposure or who are symptomatic to accompany you to campus.

Do I need to get screened or get clearances before I come back to campus for my belongings?*

If you have traveled to a country requiring a 14-day quarantine  after your return to the U.S., you will need to wait until the conclusion of that period before returning to campus. We also recommend that you stay home and contact a healthcare provider if you are experiencing fever or any respiratory symptoms, such as cough or shortness of breath, or if you have had contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19.

How will Move Out be coordinated?*

Students who indicate they plan to return to campus within the four-week period to retrieve belongings will gain access to the check-out scheduler through MyHousing. There will be a limited number of students permitted back on campus during each time slot. Once all items are removed, students should lock their room door and return their key(s) using the boxes in the lobby (or other central area) of their residence hall. The nearest key return locations will be posted on signs on residence hall entrances. (Returning students for 2020-2021 should retain their checkpoints. Graduating or non-returning students can return checkpoints in the same envelope.) 

Checkpoint access to assigned residential buildings will be managed according to the spring Move Out timing. Consistent with our break inspection processes, all residential doors in College-owned housing (suite doors, house doors, apartment doors, and bedroom doors) have been locked unless occupied at the time of inspection. Residence Life, Public Safety, and Facilities Operations will not have staffing to grant access to locked areas.  

To limit trash removal by facilities staff, please take excess recyclables and trash directly to the nearest dumpster areas.

Will there be a Green Move Out program for students?*

No. Unfortunately, with the rolling Move Out, the College will not be able to hold its annual Green Move Out. Please return home with items that can be repurposed and donate them to local nonprofits or provide to friends and family who would find them useful. Also, please remember that the City of Easton trash/recycling pickup is on Monday and allows for only one bulk item per week.

Do students living in off-campus rentals not associated with the College need to complete the move-out form?

No. All off-campus leases signed by students continue to be in effect. If you have questions regarding your off-campus property lease, contact your landlord or the property management company. 

I’m not able to return to campus. What should I do?*

We ask students to do their best to make an attempt to return to campus to retrieve your belongings in the timeframe that will be provided. If you are unable to return to campus then, you can indicate so on the Spring 2020 Housing Move Out form in MyHousing. We will be developing and communicating alternative resources and move-out plans at a later date.

What if I’m not comfortable coming to campus because of COVID-19?

We encourage you to come during a less-trafficked time (i.e., during the week, in the morning). If you are unable to do so, indicate this on the Spring 2020 Housing Move Out form.  We will do everything we can to explore solutions and help students. Limits on each move-out time window help manage the number of individuals moving out at the same time and in the same part of campus.

Can I spend the night in my residence to pack my belongings?*

No. Overnight stays are not permitted unless you previously applied through the Extenuating Circumstances form and were approved to be on campus during Spring Break and the remote learning period, and have remained in campus housing without traveling or leaving the area.

If I forget to leave my key, can I mail it?

Yes. We recommend a padded envelope, cardboard mailer, or firmly taping the key to a piece of paper so it does not pierce the envelope and fall out during mail processing. Mail to: Office of Residence Life, 132 Farinon Center, Easton, PA 18042.

Can my parents/family/friend/roommate come back to campus without me to get my belongings?*

Ideally, the student resident would come with family to identify which belongings are theirs versus their roommate’s. If the resident cannot, we encourage students to work with their roommate(s) to pack up and remove belongings for them. There is an option on the Spring 2020 Housing Move Out form to indicate if a roommate will be assisting with removing items. Residence Life, Public Safety, and Facilities Operations will not have staffing to grant access to any locked bedrooms, suites, houses, etc., to persons who do not have the key(s) for that space.

What if I’ve already moved my belongings out?

Please email to confirm that you have no belongings in your room and mail your key(s) back. We recommend a padded envelope, cardboard mailer, or firmly taping the key to a piece of paper so it does not pierce the envelope and fall out during mail processing. Mail to: Office of Residence Life, 132 Farinon Center, Easton, PA 18042.

Will there be rides/shuttles to and from the airport/train/bus station?*

No. Students can make use of regional LANTA bus services at no cost with their student IDs. Many other bus services can be accessed at the Easton Bus Terminal downtown.

I was approved to be on campus and can’t go home. What should I do?

Students who previously identified a compelling reason to continue living on campus received an email from the vice president of campus life indicating they should immediately alert us if plans had changed. If you have not responded to that email and indicated you have or plan to leave campus, we assume you will remain. If this is not the case, please immediately email

What should I do if I have remained on campus and am now leaving to return home?

Students who previously identified a compelling reason to continue living on campus received an email from the vice president of campus life indicating they should immediately alert us at if plans have changed. If you have not alerted us to your changed plans, please do so immediately by emailing

If I am approved to remain on campus, what will the student experience be like?

Students approved to remain on campus may not travel out of the area and return to College housing. Most campus services will be curtailed or suspended. Hours of operation and services are posted online and will continue to be updated. Students should call Public Safety at 610-330-4444 if there is a physical emergency and 610-330-5005 for a mental health emergency after hours or on weekends. To align with recommendations on limiting social encounters, no community gatherings will be scheduled. Off-campus resources also will be very limited in response to directives from the CDC, City of Easton, and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

When will I be able to select housing for next year?

The housing application and lottery processes will take place on a modified timeline. Residence Life staff will communicate in the coming weeks via email, and updates will be posted on our website. Returning students should anticipate more communications about these processes by March 30.

I am a student who usually stores my belongings on campus over the summer. Will I still be able to do this?

No. Due to current staffing limitations, no access to campus storage locations is available. This includes access to items already in storage. A list of local storage facilities is available here. Calling first is recommended to ensure these businesses have remained open following emergency closures of non-essential services.

I have items in campus storage. Can I pick them up when I move out?

No. Due to current staffing limitations, no access to campus storage locations is available. This includes access to items already in storage.

I left my car on campus. Will I be towed or ticketed?

If you are parked legally, no. You can keep your car where it is until you are able to retrieve it. 

I still have College-owned property (such as library books and items borrowed from my student organization). How should I return it?

Please leave items in your room marked clearly with the department, office or organization it belongs to. Certain departments may reach out directly to coordinate collection.

Whom should I contact with housing-related questions?

Email the Office of Residence Life.

Will I get a refund on room and board costs?

We will be crediting or refunding 50 percent of specific room and board charges, with a minimum credit of $1,000. For more information, see the email to students and families.


Events and Programs

Is the College cancelling any events?

All in-person College-sponsored campus and regional events have been cancelled through May 31. For more information, see the campus events policy.

Will cancelled cultural events be rescheduled?

Arts performance classes may choose to use some rehearsed material for a future concert or production. Some Performance Series events may be rescheduled for future seasons, and some guest artists already are planning to reschedule in the fall.

Will Honors Convocation be held?

A decision on holding Honors Convocation is still pending. We tentatively are planning to announce and distribute awards in May, albeit not in person, and to acknowledge and commemorate student awardees remotely.



Are there confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Lafayette?

No. We’re committed to keeping the campus community informed about important health information. If there is a case of COVID-19 on campus, the College will share that information with the community.

Are there confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Pennsylvania?

For updated state information, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s website.

What are the differences between self-monitoring, self-isolating and social distancing?

Self-monitoring: monitoring yourself for fever by checking your temperature twice a day and remaining alert for symptoms including cough and difficulty breathing

Self-Isolating: separation of a person known or reasonably believed to be infected with an infectious disease from those who are not infected.

Social distancing: remaining out of congregate settings and maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from others.

What is the best defense against contagious viruses such as seasonal influenza and COVID-19?

The best defense against contagious viruses is to remain vigilant and take precautions to minimize the risk of all contagious infectious diseases. 

  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
  • Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or your sleeve.
  • Clean surfaces, door knobs, keyboards with germicidal wipes.
  • Stay out of class/work when you are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

What type of office cleaning should be done if there is a case of COVID-19?

As with any seasonal respiratory illness, routine cleaning is effective. Routine cleaning products are sufficient. Bleach is not necessary.

What if I am experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in impacted areas or COVID-19 on campus?

Students who are experiencing increased anxiety or stress related to concerns about family in impacted areas may call a counselor. To make an appointment for counseling, please call 610-330-5005.

Where can I get more information on COVID-19?

For up-to-date information, please check the following websites:
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
World Health Organization

Is the Health Center prepared to evaluate whether a person might have COVID-19?

Testing for COVID-19 is only being performed at PA Department of Health laboratories. In the coming days/weeks, testing will become more widely available in local hospitals and commercial labs.

How is the College/Health Center handling members of the community who have traveled to a CDC-designated Level 3 area?

The College, which is following guidance from the PA Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), strongly advises against personal travel to any areas designated by the CDC as high impact zones for COVID-19, which can change daily. Anyone traveling to a country or domestic region that is currently or becomes a Level 3 area designated by the CDC will be required to complete a 14-day self-isolation period before being cleared for return to campus.

If you have questions about where the virus is active you can find additional information on the CDC website or contact Dr. Jeff Goldstein at (610) 330-5001 or